1 minutes beginner
2 minutes previous challengers
The Russian twist is an effective exercise for targeting the obliques and improving core strength. Here's how you can do the Russian twist:
1. Starting Position:
- Sit on the floor with your knees bent and feet flat.
- Lean back slightly, keeping your back straight, to engage your core muscles.
- Hold a dumbbell or any weighted object with both hands, clasping it between your hands.
2. Twisting Movement:
- Lift your feet a few inches off the ground, balancing on your sit bones.
- Keep your chest up and your back straight throughout the exercise.
- Begin to twist your torso to one side, bringing the weighted object beside your hip. Exhale as you twist.
3. Return to Center:
- In a controlled manner, rotate your torso to the opposite side, bringing the weight to the other hip. Inhale during this movement.
- Repeat this twisting motion from side to side for the desired number of repetitions or within a set time.
- Keep your core engaged throughout the exercise to protect your lower back.
- Focus on controlled movements rather than speed.
- You can increase the difficulty by using a heavier weight or extending your legs further off the ground.
This exercise targets the muscles in your core, especially the obliques, helping to enhance rotational strength. As with any exercise, start with a weight and intensity that is comfortable for your fitness level and gradually progress as you become more comfortable.